Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Last Night, First Flight

Last night was my last night in America for the year. It was strange saying goodbye to everyone, because I have waited so long for this it didn't seem real that I was actually leaving. Packing was harder than I thought it would be. However, I am happy to say that other than a few shirts and my favorite (but trashed) pair of boots I was able to bring everything! My weight limit was 50 pounds on my checked suitcase, and I was lucky enough to escape with a whopping 49.5 pounds!
I stayed up until around eleven trying to get things finished and getting it all around.  Then I had to wake up at 2:30 AM to get to the airport. My parents and my sister drove me there, and we got my tickets, and all of that good stuff. Dad and I had some breakfast, and then he bought me the cutest neck pillow! I hugged Mom, Dad, and Emily goodbye, and Mom and Emily both let out the waterworks. I stayed strong and didn't shed a single tear! The first flight was almost two and a half hours. It started out pretty slow, but I dozed off and we were in Charlotte before I knew it!
Now I am sitting in the airport, got some Starbucks, and am just waiting. My next flight boards in about five hours, and it goes straight to Rome! There my host parents will pick me up, along with a Rotary representative (which I am going to assume is my counselor). I will get to Rome at about 9 AM there, which would be about 2 AM at home. That's also the day school starts, but I will miss it because I will not be in Fabriano in time.
There is another American girl that is going to my town. It is a very rare predicament, because she will live with my second host family, and then we will switch families nearing the middle of our exchange. It is also rare that if that were to happen to anyone, it happened to two people from the same country! Her name is Devon (My brother's name is spelled Devin, so no confusion there!), and she is from Reno, Nevada. The other strange part of our situation is her first host family's daughter is spending her year of exchange in Reno! She arrived a few weeks before Devon left, so they got to hang out a few times!
Even though I am sitting in the airport between flights, it still doesn't seem real that I am actually going to Italy for the whole year. I am so excited, nervous, and I feel so blessed! I can't wait for the nine hour flight there to be over so I can meet my host family, and start school the next day, and have the time of my life!


Cheers,

Janie <3

No comments:

Post a Comment